Thursday, February 26, 2009

Maia Flies a 747

After a week in Palm Beach, Felicia had to get back home. Unlike some of the doggie owners she met at the Ritz Carlton, Felicia cleans her own house (which means vacuuming up dog hair every day!). She does not have household personnel to stay home with the gang and therefore needed to get back and rescue them from kennel prison! But first, Felicia read the Wall Street Journal, to find out just how badly her stocks were tanking. Then she brought me back to the room.

Once back to our room, I got to read my morning newspapers, ON the table, not BY the table! I thought about one lovely lady we met in the lobby, who came by to pet me, who lived in New Jersey and had 5 pugs at home! Only one got to go to Aspen with her. She was at the hotel for the horse show in Wellington. She said that when she and her husband called home, they asked the housekeeper how their 2-1/2 year-old daughter was doing, and then how "the boys" were doing! She said, we have our two-legged child and then we have our four-legged children! Felicia knew exactly what she was talking about!
Another lady who lives in Westchester, but has an apartment in New York City, has four different dog breeds, just like us, from ShihTzus to a Lab! She picked her apartment on the UES just because it had a big deck for the dogs to hang out on (bigger than the apartment itself, she said!). She was appalled that Felicia put her dogs in a kennel! Felicia explained that she didn't have live-in help! Joanne used to think Felicia was crazy, but after this trip, she realizes that there are other crazy doggie lovers out there just like Felicia!

Once I finished reading about which CEO had taken how much bonus money or stock options, and when, and from what bank, and was it before or after TARP, I sat on the bed and watched Felicia pack.

The wonderful Andres, from Abe's Limousine, came to pick us up in a lovely new SUV (see Andres's photo, above, with Felicia and India, from Art Basel). He brought us to the airport. We talked about his birthday coming up on March 6 (Happy Birthday in advance, Andres!), and all too quickly, we arrived at the airport.

When we boarded our Northwest flight, we met yet another lovely dog owner! This time it was our wonderful flight attendant, Rio, who insisted on holding me (above). (I love his name! I wonder if Rio has gone to Rio? He must hear that all the time!) Rio happens to have a Yorkie named Diesel who will be 2 on May 20. Diesel weighs 6-1/2 pounds. Rio promised to send Felicia a picture of Diesel for The Maia Chronicles. Then Rio took me into the cockpit to meet the rest of the crew!

In the cockpit, First Officer Scott showed me the controls. We chatted a bit, and it turned out that Captain Tony (left, in photo) needed a bit of help flying the Big Bird! Captain Tony asked me to be the FMCFP--First Mate in Charge of Foot Pedals. The foot pedals operate the rudder, located at the back of the vertical stabilizer. (Don't worry...I have my Pilot's License from the NYPAA--National Yorkie Pilot Aviation Academy!) Everyone was very happy with the way I ran around jumping on the Foot Pedals during the flight, which wasn't all that easy considering I only weigh 2.9 pounds! But when we landed in Detroit, Captain Tony promised me a promotion the next time I helped fly one of Northwest's 747's! He even gave me some wings to wear on my collar! I can hardly wait to get back home and tell Sacha, Max, Peaches, Dolce and Brooklyn Cruz all about our fun trip flying the Northwest Skies, all the way back from Florida! (Felicia kept telling me that she even remembers when Northwest was called Republic Airways!!)
Till tomorrow,
Love, Maia

No comments: