Saturday, October 18, 2008

In the Beginning....



When I was still tiny, Miss Diana gave me a kiss goodbye. "Oh little Bitty!" she said. I'm going to miss you! But a nice lady named Felicia is going to be your new mommy." Miss Diana had named me Abittyone, because I was so tiny.



She put me in a travel crate and drove for a very long time to the airport, on a snowy Kansas road. It was February. Shredded newspaper lay on the bottom of my crate, with food and water clipped to the side. But it was dark inside the cargo hold of the plane, and the plane was noisy, and I was worried.
Where was this noisy machine going to land? Who was I going to live with? Who would be my mommy now? I was shivering. I was cold. And I was scared.



In the meantime, Felicia was also in a car. And her car was going to the airport. But Felicia's airport was in a warm place. There was no snow on the roads. The sun was shining. And the air conditioning was on.
A nice young man named Andres was driving her to the airport in a Lincoln Town Car. They were supposed to pick up the five month old baby at the Delta Cargo Building on 3519 SW 2nd Ave, Bay 1, at the Fort Lauderdale airport. Felicia was excited.


She checked her bag to make sure she had all the items that she would need: photo ID, baby wipes and a dry towel, fresh newspaper for the crate, a garbage bag for the soiled newspaper, a leash and collar, Pedialyte, Nutrical, and Gerber Turkey or Chicken baby food. She had everything but the baby food.
When they got close to the airport, Felicia read out loud the directions that the internet company had given her. "It says to take Exit I95 or I595 at State Road 84 East, right on to SW 4th Avenue, left at the 2nd stop sign onto Perimeter Road, and after the road curves right under the overpass, make a right. Delta is the second building on the left."
What a happy day it was! Felicia could hardly wait to meet her new baby, me. She could hardly remember every being this excited. To think she had fallen in love with a photo on the internet! It had all happened so quickly.

No comments: